Thursday, January 23, 2014

Day 20 - January 23, 2014: Honey Balsamic Glazed Chicken with Broccoli and Rice

Tonight was the night for the family pack of chicken thighs I got at the $5 sale last week.  So I got one of those little recipe cards for chicken thighs from a local store and went for it.  Here is what I used for tonight's dinner:


I rubbed the grilled chicken seasoning over the chicken thighs and placed them in a pan, then baked the chicken at 375°F for 45 minutes, glazed it with honey and balsamic vinegar and some garlic and let it bake for another 7 minutes.  I drizzled a little more honey and vinegar over it right before serving.  While the chicken was in the oven, I steamed the broccoli (a little too much, unfortunately) and tossed it with some butter and shredded Parmesan.  Then I heated up one of those Minute Ready to Serve things.  THAT was a huge mistake.  The only reason I bought it was because our store had triple coupon week and I had a 75¢ coupon, so I only paid 26¢ for two.  Turns out, even that's too much to pay for something nobody likes and that you end up throwing away.  When will I ever learn?

Here is the breakdown for tonight's dinner:
Chicken thighs: $3.50 ( I made 7 and froze the remaining 3 - they didn't fit into the pan anymore)
Broccoli: $1.99
Honey: $0.80
Rice: $0.13
1 1/2 tbs of vinegar, a few shakes of seasoning, a pinch of freeze dried garlic, 1 tbs of Parmesan, and 1 1/2 tsp of butter: negligible
Total: $6.42


Verdict:
Aside from the rice, we all liked it.  The kids loved the chicken - my daughter finished her brother's, too.  My husband came home late and got stuck with the leftovers.  He thought the chicken was a bit sweet, but still had two pieces, so clearly, it couldn't have been TOO sweet ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment