Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Day 8 - January 8, 2014: German potato salad with polish sausage

Tonight, I used this:


1 bag Yukon potatoes: $1.49
8 eggs: $1.00
4 polish sausages: $2.00 (they were on sale and now I know why: They were so so so bad!  I should have sprung for Hebrew Nationals since it only happens about 4 times a year that I serve anything resembling hot dogs in our house.  But for the sake of this blog, I forgot about the sake of my body - live and learn!)
Mayo: ~$1.40
1 1/2 apples: $0.80
ca. 10 gherkins: $1.80 (don't get the sweet ones - that was my second buying mistake.  Although, to be fair, my husband brought these back from the store; I was just too cheap to get a second jar of something else when I was out today)
1 tbsp mustard
Total: $8.49

To make this:

I hard-boiled the eggs and (I guess soft-)boiled the potatoes, peeled and diced the apples, diced the gherkins, added 2 tbsps of chopped yellow onion and mixed it all together.  Then I squirted about half the bottle of mayo on it, the mustard, s+p and mixed some more.  I simmered the polish sausages according to the directions on the package.

Verdict:
The potato salad was alright (reminder: no sweet gherkins next time!) and satisfied my craving for authentic German food.  However, it is really heavy, so less than my portion probably would have satisfied my craving just the same.  Or, maybe if I hadn't wasted space in my stomach for that half of a god-awful "polish sausage" (really, it didn't even taste like a real hot dog, let alone a polish sausage), I wouldn't feel like I need some sort of aquavit now.  Live and learn?  Let's hope so ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment